Best Classes for Noobs
Probably the most basic and easiest character you could play as a new player to BG3 (or perhaps even D&D) would be Human Fighter with Champion or Battlemaster subclass and the soldier background.
- Human(or Shield Dwarf) – Human is the baseline race, no “weird” racial abilities to learn, no social interaction penalties, but shield dwarf makes a better fighter because it adds Dark Vision, Dwarven Resilience and boosts to strength/constitution
- Fighter (Champion/Battlemaster) – Tanky, abilities are straightforward, no spell books or anything to learn, can wear most armor and use most weapons.
- Soldier Background – Boosts fighter skills.
- Boring and vanilla as hell, but if you are a new player that might be a “pro”
- Fighters are more dependent on good equipment than any other class.